Martes, Setyembre 26, 2017

When future becomes too much of a burden

Are you happy?

Source: Retrogodesses Vintage kids


When you’re having a conversation with your friends, family, relatives, or new acquaintances, are you happy?

Is your mind present or half of it is already thinking about tomorrow?

I remember one meaningful conversation I had with one of my closest friends back in college. I told him I would be working very hard because I want a fortune. I want a car. I want a big house. Everything materialistic under the sun. He laughed at me and said it can’t be done at once. There has to be a process, and it takes time. I was quite immature so I got annoyed at him while he explained that he was just being practical in life. I understood him even then. But in my futuristic point of view, he was a dream-crusher.

Although a writer and a very keen reader of historical fiction, I am, in fact, a futuristic person. Join me in a conversation and talk about your plans or goals in life, you would find me more enthusiastic than ever. I love talking about how I see myself in the future no matter how impossible it may seem. I love thinking that everything that’s happening to me at the moment is a stepping stone to the glorious future that awaits me. I love planning ahead so when I work on something, it has to be close to perfection because my future lies on it.

But I hate worrying about the future.

Whenever I am too happy or laughing too much in a supposed to be leisure time, half of my thoughts are already into sadness that may come later on. There would always be a moment of silence in my mind whispering, ‘hey, don’t be so happy. It won’t last. It won’t last.’

This isn’t healthy for a spiritually growing Christian. Because when you worry too much, you doubt a faithful God!

“And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it.

For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

‘Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.’”

(Luke 12:28-32)

I have a Father who is in heaven—who holds everything and makes an empty basket full and overflowing!

It’s not wrong to dream big, aim for excellence, or plan more than what you need. Such character is actually good because it means you are living for a purpose—and so you cannot settle for less. The problem is when you don’t even know how to live in the moment anymore because your future self has eaten you up.

What I normally do when I look at things I want in the future is utter brief prayers in my mind.

Every time I get to see a car display, I would slow down walking, stare at it, and tell my God, ‘Lord, bless me with a car. In your perfect time.’

Every time I find myself overwhelmed with my schedule in the next few days, I would again pray, ‘Lord, just let me find joy in what’s going to happen today.’

Every time I worry that today’s moments would end too soon, I would say briefly, ‘Lord, just let me cherish the moment so I can smile or laugh about them when I’m feeling down.’

And the list of prayers goes on. It’s not everyday that you’re going to encounter or see the same persons, the same events; so make it a habit to condition your mind into having worry-free thoughts.


Live in the moment. 

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento