Biyernes, Hulyo 18, 2014

In the midst of the storm




‘Just a sight of you.’ I keep saying to myself as I hardly walk through the fuming wind. By and by it whips like a lullaby, yet the trees falling and tangling with each other tells me how furious it is.


There is no one to see on the street but me. The people must have locked themselves in their homes, hoping to get warm and comforted while waiting for the storm to settle. I, myself, am longing to feel the warmth of sitting beside the fireplace, reading books I’ve bought recently, and perhaps enjoying my mother’s tea. But then something must be missing that will not keep me at ease even in the most comfortable house I could think of.


I remember being in the same situation just a year ago. It was not miserable as it is tonight, but it was raining hard as well. It was still daylight when mother asked me to buy a few things in the market, though due to bad weather I doubted if they were still selling. And indeed, upon arriving there were only three or four vendors on their posts, not selling but gathering all their stocks before they get soaked and gobbled by rats.


‘Mister, please I need three potatoes.’ I pleaded.


‘You should’ve come earlier, mademoiselle. All my potatoes are sold out. I only have the rotten ones as leftovers.’


‘Oh, what else can you sell me then?’ I insisted, hoping he still had.


‘Nothing but rotten goods young lady; we were flooded by buyers an hour ago. All were in a hurry because of the heavy storm.’ He continued packing and shoving his few boxes on a cart.


‘Where else can I go to? Do you know other marketplace outside the town?’ I asked.


‘There is one in the south across the bridge. It’s where the merchant guild is, so I presume they are not out of goods. But I don’t advise you to go there right now, mademoiselle. It’s a mile away from here, and it is too dangerous to travel either on foot or not.’


‘Well, thank you mister. I’ll be going now.’ I said, apparently refusing to heed his advice.

‘You must go home, mademoiselle!’ 


‘I’ll be careful!’ I waved and ran despite my heavy boots.


***


An hour must have passed, yet there was still no sight of a market. Again, the road I was crossing had seemed to be isolated, abandoned by the people who found shelter in their homes. I, alone, had the courage to face the storm, or perhaps I was wrong; perhaps there was someone like me who was brave enough to walk through the mist.


He was a nobleman, judging from his clothes. But where could he be off to? Why was he alone, thoroughly walking with nothing but himself?


‘Pardon me, sir. Where are you going?’ I asked, though I had to raise my voice against the rainfall.


‘I am lost. My horse has left me.’ He responded, almost shouting.


‘I am going to the marketplace, do you want to come?’ 


‘Where is it? Is it far?’


‘Yes, a bit. But there’s a bridge almost near to us. It’s a sign we’re a few steps from the market.’


‘I’ll come, but first let’s find a hut to rest for a while. I’m soaked!’ He wasn’t wearing any raincoat but bare clothes and his boots for riding, so he must feel really cold.


‘Alright, there must be a small hut nearby.’ I assured, hoping to find one indeed.


‘Hey, is that the bridge you’re saying?’ He spoke suddenly a few seconds after we were silent.


‘Yes! It must be. And look, there’s a hut near to it!’ I rejoiced at the sight of it. Truly, it was a miracle to find shelter.


‘Can we run?’ He then asked, perhaps he was more rejoicing than I was.


‘Yes, but…’ 


‘Come on!’


Before I could even say that I could not run fast because of my heavy boots, he grabbed my hand and pulled with him, as if the storm was chasing after us.


‘Thank God we survived.’ He sighed in relief as we finally reached the hut. 


He then took off his outer garments and hung it aside, while I also removed my raincoat and the boots I had been complaining was heavy.


‘How long are we to stay here? My mother is expecting me home, so I have to hurry.’ I said, thinking he might suggest we wait till his clothes were dry.


‘Perhaps when the rain isn’t too heavy anymore, then we can go. It will be easier for us to walk.’


‘But what if the rain is still the same an hour after?’ I asked, worried.


‘Then we continue waiting.’ He grinned, as if joking. 


‘Impossible. I have to go home!’


He then laughed at my sudden rage, and in that particular moment I couldn’t understand why I was beginning to smile as well, as though suddenly I was even more comfortable to be with him.


‘Sorry, I can’t help but laugh. It’s just odd to think that you come all the way here only wanting to go home.’


‘My mother would be worried.’ I sadly realized, quite regretting I did not listen to the mister who advised me to go home instead.


‘My servants would be searching for me right now, but I wish not to be found.’ In his eyes there was an abrupt sadness, and in his tone I felt there was something wrong.


‘What’s your name, my lord?’ I asked, recognizing his position in nobility. 


‘Louis, and please, right now we are friends. I am not your lord.’


‘That’s…a very kingly name…’ I commented in his royal name.


‘Yes, named after King Louis of France.’ He laughed once again; as if it was something he considered a joke. ‘How about you, what’s your name?’


‘Annie, sir.’ I uttered, apparently couldn’t help but address him with respect.


‘That’s a cute name, but again I am not sir. I’m just Louis, your friend.’


Yes, he was Louis, the friend I met in the storm. He was also the same Louis I fell in love with during summer. The memory of him confessing his love to me two months later is still fresh, and it shall never cease to cross my mind. Sometimes I ask; have I been bewitched by this charming lad? But then constantly, as if beating for him alone, my heart speaks of love.


‘You’re the only one who sees me for who I am, and the only girl I am in love with. You may not be a baroness, a countess, or a duchess, but you have the best title in my heart. Marry me, Annie.’


It makes my lips heave a smile as I remember him proposing and shouting in delight when I gave him my ‘yes’. The thought of his very words makes me forget I am under the will of the storm; whether I die or survive. But then perhaps it will not matter, for my lord, my prince Louis shall marry a nobility, of course. He was betrothed to a countess; for goodness’ sake I had no idea. He was a Prince, heir to the throne and I had not a single idea. But why, in the midst of this storm do I find hope when I know he is there, in the same small hut the first time we met, his clothes hung as if waiting for me before I take courage to find him.


‘I have come to say goodbye, Annie.’ He said silently. I wished he mouthed something else though, something like ‘I have come to take you as my wife, Annie.’ But perhaps it’s just the thought of gaining hope before my frailty overwhelms me. Perhaps he really isn’t there, saying anything.  


END

---------------

Certainly I am not inspired to write because of the storm, but rather of the hope God has given us that we shall overcome this calamity. "God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble.  So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.  Let the oceans roar and foam.  Let the mountains tremble as the waters surge!” - Psalm 46: 1-3.
In the story, Annie is nothing but a commoner, searching for someone beyond her reach. She has the love, the passion, and the hope to seek him despite knowing the risk she has to take under the storm. If perhaps we are in the same condition, do we have the same courage, the same hope that she has? Do we have the same faith that in spite of falling trees and seemingly disastrous country, God is with us? "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee” - Hebrews 13:5. 

God is sure to welcome us in his shelter when we need one. God is sure to hold our hand when we ask him to. God is sure to embrace us when we need comfort. God is sure to be there for you, He only asks for your heart to come near him...God is sure to love you more than anyone else. God bless us all! :)

Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento